Monday, January 21, 2008

Knitting and Meditation

Many knitters enjoy the Zen of knitting: working stitch after stitch, sometimes counting, perhaps whispering a little prayer with each one, enjoying the peaceful rhythm and the sensuousness of the fibre. This weekend I worked on the second of a pair of socks for my husband. That's Cascade The Heathers (9332 Sapphire) and Madil Kid Seta (486 Delft Blue). This is my first attempt at toe-up socks, and I'm enjoying the challenge.



The weekend was stressful, and as I knit, I found myself wondering what my therapist and many other knitters would think if they knew that with each stitch I focused not on peace, but on a fast and violent end to the sources of stress around me (and you know who you are)....Hmmm. Anyway, the thoughts were brief, and the mature adult in me (wherever she is) stepped up and brought me back to my senses.

I picked the sock up many times over the weekend, but it's knitting up much slower than the first one. I wonder if external stress is one of the factors that contribute to one-sock-syndrome? I've managed to avoid one-sock-syndrome by forcing myself to finish a pair before I start anything else. So far it's working ok. These are only the second pair of socks I've been able to part with. The first pair went to my husband as well. I made these top down using Cambio Zitron (606) and Phildar Preface.
He's an easy give cause they're never far from sight, and if I really want to, I can wear them when he's not looking ;)

3 comments:

Kare said...

HAHAHAHA!!
I'm in a pretty violent mood here now. Maybe I should knit. ; )

The toe ups look great. Are they easier to do? The only socks I've ever made were the mini Christmas ornament ones from Last Minute Knitted Gifts.
Nice that you can steal your husband's socks.

Anonymous said...

Toe ups are easier. There's no heel flap, but you have to learn the short row heel and toe. They aren't hard. I love that you don't have to pick up stitches after a heel flap as in a top down sock. I'm a continental knitter, and picking up those stitches is terrifying for some reason. I usually have to use a crochet hook.

Toe ups are faster too. I knit the first one in this pair in 2 or 3 days. The second one is not going that fast. I think it's because my family has sucked out my will to live, so I don't knit as much. Oh well, I must knit on in spite of such adversities...

Kare said...

When I try a sock then, it'll definitely be a toe up. Thanks!

Families!
Can't live with them and can't live without them. (only 'cause you'll get charged with abandonment.)
Here's to a better day. *holding coffee cup up*.