Monday, April 7, 2008

The Road to a Friend's is Never Longer Than When You Have to Pee

Yesterday, we drove to Andrew, Alberta to take our friend Tamara home. She's been staying with us for a couple of weeks while her class went to Europe over spring break. It was lovely having her but we couldn't keep her forever. The trip takes about an hour-and-a-half each way and I can't travel more than an hour before I have to stop somewhere to pee. We were planning a stop at our favourite store in Mundare but it was closed. It was open Good Friday but it's closed on Sundays...go figure. Anyway, everything on Mundare's main street was closed so we headed back to the open road toward the Village of Andrew. I wasn't sure I'd make it, but what's a girl to do in rural Alberta. There's a gas station in Mundare, but I avoid those whenever possible. Some of the things I've seen in small town gas station bathrooms have scarred me for life. So we're back in the country, passing a farmhouse here, a field of cows there, a buffalo herd way back there, but no sign of a village anywhere. With every little hill we climbed I waited to see Andrew just over the rise. Minutes dragged like decades as we traversed little hill after little hill, and still no sign of Andrew. I was knitting up a storm to distract myself but even that loses effectiveness after a certain point.

Finally, after forever, the Village appeared and we made our way to Tamara's house where I was able to use her washroom. Whew, is all I can say.

On the drive I was able to knit a few inches of sleeve for the Kilcar sweater. All I have left to do is this sleeve and the collar. Sweaters take sooooo long, especially when you break up the monotony with eighty other projects.

On Saturday, I went on a Ravelry excursion to Pam's Woolly Shoppe in Stony Plain. It was great fun fondling wool and meeting other Ravelers in person. While I was there, I was shown how to spin using a top whorl spindle. I'm in love! Just not sure when I'm going to squeeze spinning into my already full schedule. I stuck to my yarn diet like a good girl but I came home with a spindle and some practice roving. In my defense, the restraint I showed in not buying the lace weight Malibrigo was tremendous and taxing so the purchase of a tiny little spindle was highly understandable.

1 comment:

Kare said...

: )

It really was not fair that you got to go to Pam's without me. I'm so glad that you got to go, though.
Looking forward to some spinning pics.