Saturday, February 13, 2010

Prairie Girl Rocked Outta her Seat

Those opening ceremonies last night were incredible! I particularly appreciated the Prairie Girl performance. AWESOME. As a prairie girl myself, I was happy to see our home honoured.

The death of Georgia athlete, Nodar Kumaritashvili, was remembered at the start of the games. So sad for his family, friends, Olympic team-mates, and country. The people of the world will hold him in their hearts as the games progress.

I kept waiting for Leonard Cohen to appear...waiting...hoping...and right after the proclamation to open the games, when I thought the entertainment was over, up comes KD Lang belting out "Hallelujah." I was blown away! Not a song I'd pick for that particular moment in the ceremonies, but I was so, so glad Cohen was honoured and presented in that way. And who better to sing that anthem? Who better to represent the freedom, choice, and open-heart of this country. I was rocked outta my seat.

Then, the Olympic flag carriers appeared: Donald Sutherland (Love him!), Betty Fox (Terry's mom), Bobby Orr (Love, Love him!!), Anne Murray, Jacques Villeneuve, gold medal figure skater Barbara Ann Scott (first Canadian figure skater to win gold [1948]), Roméo Dallaire (Shake Hands With the Devil author), and Julie Payette (Canadian Astronaut).

It all made me so very proud to be a Canadian Prairie Girl.

No comments: